Sunday, November 1, 2009

Loss and blessing


Today, Nov. 5, would have been my parents' 63rd anniversary. That's a long time to be married--to one person. I look at their wedding portrait and I see those fresh, young faces full of expectations for love and family and a long life together. They got married at my mother's parents' home, then went to Lubbock to have a wedding portrait made and it is priceless. He raised cotton on a farm south of Lubbock for many years and she was a full time, and I do mean full time, homemaker. She made our clothes, cooked all our meals (no take out or MacDonalds), canned fruits and vegetables in the summer, and kept up with 4 active kids. We worked hard and played hard. We hoed cotton and drove John Deere tractors (the big ones and yes I can drive one) in the summer. We were always so excited for Saturday when we anxiously watched as my dad wrote out our checks. When we could reached a certain point at the end of the summer, we'd go to the lake and ski and ride inner tubes, or go camping in the mountains. Tons of fun and lots of good memories.


The sadness over my dad's "change of address" is still a a quiet undercurrent in my heart, that unexpectedly bubbles to the surface. I acknowledge the grief, the emotions, and the loss because it honors his life. It still doesn't seem real that he's gone. My mom is doing very well. She was able to go to Bella's first birthday with us and that was very special. She'd never seen the girls' homes in Temple and we treated her like a queen. After 62 years of being a wife and mother, she's not accustomed to being on the receiving end, but she deserves
it.
It's hard to believe that our little Bella has already reached her first birthday. What a joy and blessing she is. She keeps us all smiling.

Life DOES go on. I've been busy catching up on the appointments I had to cancel, mostly Senior yearbook portraits, and I've started with the big Senior sitting almost daily. This is a GREAT Senior class and I'm impressed by the quality of these kids--their academics, athletic abilities, and most importantly, the good character and manners they have. They have all been a delight to photograph and get to know better. Check out my Facebook and website for the latest action photos from the volleyball and football games, which I LOVE shooting. I also post Seniors' studio portraits and updates.

I look back at my Father's Day blog and I'm so grateful that I wrote that while my dad was alive and could read it. It's sad that we wait until a funeral to say all the nice things about a person--those things should be said while our loved ones are alive. So I challenge you to take one minute each day, and tell one person something nice about them or how they effect your life in a positive way. We are quick to criticize, and slow to praise. Let's be better about showing affirmation and gratitude. We all have so much for which to be grateful. Thank YOU for being a part of my life and allowing me to be a part of yours.




No comments: